It's Not Long Now...

a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Soooooo Amazing to See Nick!


I was just hanging out in Utah and my friend Kerry asked if I wanted to take a road trip to Idaho to visit her daughter. It was email day, so I told Nick. He wanted me to call the mission president and ask if I could see him (take him to lunch). I didn't want to ask that, so I called to see if Nick had made arrangements yet to receive his patriarchal blessing. Nick had tried to do it before he left, but couldn't reach the patriarch. Somehow he slipped through the cracks in the MTC. Then he was afraid to call President Yardley because he didn't want the Pres to be disappointed in him for not doing it before the mission. But President Yardley was so cool (like always) and said that it doesn't have to be done before a mission or even during a mission, and that it was up to Nick when he wanted to get it. He also told me it would be easier to meet Nick for lunch than to go to the blessing. I wasn't going to ask, but... So I called him back the next day to see what he decided, and he had the blessing set up for the next Sunday. Dave was flying into Salt Lake City to meet me there, so he drove up to Boise instead. We spent the night there, visiting with the Spjutes, where Nick had lived in his first area. It was so great to get to meet their family. I got to see the Boise temple and the mission office next door. We met some of the missionaries and also also Alan Evans (ward mission leader). We went to church on Sunday with the Spjutes, then drove down to Filer to the patriarch's house. Nick acted like he barely recognized us. Even the patriarch seemed surprised
that we hadn't seen each other for almost eight months. I think it was such a surprise that Nick didn't know how he was supposed to act. The blessing was wonderful, and it was so great to be there. After that, the Kelseys who Nick lived with, invited us for dinner. They own a pizza restaurant (Papa Kelsey's) and were about to open a pasta restaurant next door. They opened up the new restaurant just for us and cooked a sample of several items on the menus. Nick and his companion ate with us. It was the funnest thing ever. And the food was sooooo good (especially the seasoned fries). We also saw the Kelsey's home where Nick lived, and talked to Nick and his companion. Elder Tukuafu was so cute, he told us how he had prayed for a good trainer and first companion, and the Lord sent him to Elder Hefler. As a parent, I was so proud to see how much he loved and admired Nick. It was a few short hours, but the best ever! I was so glad I didn't have to miss this milestone. We saw so many great things, and met so many wonderful people (especially the ones who have taken such good care of my son). The whole experience seemed surreal. Probably because I never expected to see Nick while he was in Idaho. But I did!!!

No comments: